Text neck treatment is critical if you are suffering from injury or neck pain. Text neck refers to stress on the neck caused by bad posture or form. This injury is due to repetition of bad form where the neck is in a forward position. The forward tilt has a bad affect in the neck and shoulder region.
Did you know that tilting the head forward even 15 degrees, causes a weight surge of approximately 27 pounds. In addition at 45 degrees, the weight is equal to 49 pounds. As you can see the outcome will not be good. So keep in mind while you’re staring down at your cell phone, the stress on your cervical spine has increased upwards of 50 pounds. Add to that the amount of time you spend on the phone daily and bad news.
Signs and Symptoms of Text Neck
– Shoulder pain and tightness with or without spasms
– Eye pain
– Sharp pain in the neck and shoulders
Treatment for Text Neck
Get to the root of the problem by reversing the cause.
– Change in posture, massage, physical therapy, and pain management.
– Great Exercises for Text Neck
– Stretch – stop to stretch your neck during the day.
– Hold your phone higher
– Hold the phone up and improve your posture while on it. This may not seem like an exercise but it is. It will retrain your body the correct way.
– Scapular Retraction – Tighten the muscles between your shoulder blades and together.
– Exercise – Strength and flexibility of the back and neck have been shown to better support added stress
– Shift positions and take breaks form the device.
– Sit and Stand Correctly
Remember when sitting to:
– Keep your feet on the floor or on a footrest, if they cant reach the floor.
– Never cross legs. Your ankles should be in front of your knees.
– Small gap between the back of your knees and the front of your seat.
– In addition keep knees and hips at a 90º angle.
– Support lower back with cushion
– Bear weight on the balls of your feet.
– Keep your feet about shoulder-width apart.
– In addition, Keep your head level
– Shift your weight from your toes to your heels frequently
At Bond Thomas Chiropractic we specialize in individualized programs for all of our clients. These programs include, improving posture, strengthening, stretching and improving lifestyle through wellness.
Text neck is here to stay. By following these tips and maintaining awareness of your posture we can prevent long term problems. Have a neck or shoulder pain and suspect it may be text neck related? Call us to schedule a consultation with Dr Bond.
Call Us: 727-522-1900